Board Certified Surgery
We have a Board Certified Surgeon at our disposal for our more intensive orthopedic surgeries and soft tissue procedures. Only veterinarians who have successfully completed the certification requirements of the ACVS are Diplomates of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons and have earned the right to be called specialists in veterinary surgery. Veterinarians wishing to become board certified must complete a three-year residency program, meet specific training and caseload requirements, perform research and have their research published. This process is supervised by current ACVS Diplomates, ensuring consistency in training and adherence to high standards. Once the residency has been completed, the resident must sit for and pass a rigorous examination. Only then does the veterinarian earn the title of ACVS Diplomate.
Meet Howard Fischer, DVM, DACVS
Dr. Fischer is a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons and has been providing specialty surgical services to over 50 Southern California Veterinary Hospitals for over 10 years. Dr. Fischer's team of technicians, who have over 25 years of combined experience, assist Dr. Fischer in providing your family veterinarian with specialized surgical services in the familiar surrounding of your family veterinarian's hospital where they are familiar with your pet's medical history and special needs.
Learn more at his website: www.socalvetsurgeon.com
Surgeries we commonly schedule with a board certified surgeon at our facility:
- ACL (anterior cruciate ligament or cranial cruciate ligament in the knee) tear or rupture. Options include Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy (TPLO) or lateral imbrication technique
- Bone fracture repair
- Femoral Head Ostectomy or osteotomy (FHO)
- Patella luxation (slipping knee cap) repair
- Elbow dysplasia surgery to remove or repair a fragmented coronoid process (FCP) or an un-united anconeal process (UAP)
- Joint surgery to remove or repair osteocondritis dessicans (OCD) lesions
- Total Ear Canal Ablation (TECA)
- Diaphragmatic hernia repair
- Episioplasty or vulvoplasty
- Lung lobe removal
- Liver lobe removal
- And many more...